---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: William Stein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Aug 2, 2007 3:41 PM
Subject: Re: sage_c_lib patch
To: David Harvey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Joel B. Mohler"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Martin Albrecht
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Joel and Martin,

David Harvey, Craig Citro, and I were just discussing sage_c_lib, and we
think it was a design mistake to make it a completely separate package.
It would instead make much more sense if it were part of the hg_sage
repository.  I.e., a clean version of the directory SAGE_ROOT/devel/c_lib/
should be a subdirectory of SAGE_ROOT/devel/sage/, and
SAGE_ROOT/devel/sage/spkg-install should install both, and
setup.py should be extended to build the c_lib if it changes.
Moreover, spkg-dist in SAGE_ROOT/devel/sage should of course
package up the c_lib directory.  This way when somebody wants to
write code that involves both c_lib and the normal SAGE library (something
that is very common), only a single hg repository is involved.

I don't mind losing the revision history for c_lib, since it's in the old
SAGE tarballs anyways.

Thoughts?!  Optimally you could read the above, see if it makes sense,
let me know what you think... and best yet Joel could actually do the
above.  The result could be sent to me as as single hg_sage patch bundle.

 -- William

--
William Stein
Associate Professor of Mathematics