On 8/10/07, Nils Bruin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > [...]  Would the following work for you? [...]
> >    [Save] [Save & Close] [ Close & Leave Running ] [Discard Changes]
>
> Since you ask explicitly, yes that would work. The magical behaviour
> before
> was really surprisingly friendly, but rather unpredictable in resource
> usage.
>
> Keep in mind that it is still too easy to steer away from a page in
> most browsers,
> so a sheet can be "accidentally" closed. Is it possible to block
> navigation events?

I can make SAGE popup a "are you sure you want to leave this page"
dialog when you try to navigate away.  It is trivial to implement -- I did
it once and forced myself to use it for 2 miserable days -- it's horribly
annoying.

That said, SAGE doesn't kill a running worksheet process until several *minutes*
after all web browsers that are viewing it have stopped viewing it.  It's not an
immediate thing, or something that happens immediately on closing the browsing.

> Also, from what I understand, worksheets are kept alive by the
> "polling"
> of the client? In that case, a flaky network connection (wireless?) or
> an accidental
> suspend of your laptop connecting to your backroom server could make
> you lose the
> state of a worksheet!

True, but again, you would have to loose your connection for several *minutes*.

> This makes me think that a checkbox "this worksheet is persistent"
> might be better.

That's definitely a  reasonable proposal.   What would you want it
placed in the interface?
One possibility is to put it in a hackish location initially, and put
it in a separate worksheet
configuration page later once such a page is implemented (I started on
it but ran out
of time).

> Obviously, this option should not exist on servers that serve a wide
> range of users.
> It's really for people doing big computations on their own set of
> computers.

OK.

William