2007/8/10, Jonathan Bober <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Here is a high level description of another possible idea, ignoring most
> implementation details for a moment. To test the speed of my SAGE
> installation, I simply run a function benchmark(). This runs lots of
> test code, and probably takes at least an hour to run, and returns a
> Benchmark object, say, which contains lots of information about how long
> various tests took to run.

+1
I like it, here are a few more suggestions:
- package compilation flags, amount of physical memory should also be
recorded. Speedups can be noticeable depending on these only
- sometimes things just "hang" (external processes). There should be a
way for tests to gracefully exit and mark these tests as "incomplete"
or just be skipped altogether.

didier