William Stein wrote:
> On 9/21/07, David Joyner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> cd SAGE_ROOT/devel/doc/ref
>>> ./build_pdf
>>>
>>> That will create ref.pdf, which you can view.  This *requires* that you
>>> have latex2html correctly installed, which -- due to its screwy
>>> license -- often isn't installed on machines by default.
>>
>> Would this method also work for docstrings files which are not included in
>> the
>> reference manual? (Ie, for newly created *.py files.)
>
> No, this will certainly not work for such docstrings -- I would like
> something that does.   This should be put into a trac ticket.
>
> By the way, you *can* simply add the new file by
> making an empty file with the right now (but replace _ by -).
> Then include it in ref.tex.
>
> There is actually now a massive amount of code that has
> lots of documentation but isn't in the reference manual.
> This needs to change.  Of course, then the reference manual
> will go from 2,200 pages to 4,000 pages...

Thanks for your replies!  I'm now able to build the documentation and
get my changes into my version of the reference manual.

As for reference material, I consider the reference manual the
comprehensive unabridged dictionary of SAGE.  You know, something you
could curl up on a couch with on a rainy day :).  I'd love to see it
expand to twice its size if the documentation is there.

Also, an observation:

I updated the reference tex files by doing:

cd /sage/devel/doc/ref/
./update
cd ..
make pdf

However, it claimed that there was nothing to be done, since everything
was up to date.  I had to make clobber before it would build the
documentation again.

Is there a way to have the ./update command touch a file which was then
a dependency for the make pdf/html/etc commands?  That way, running
./update would force make to rerun the pdf/html/etc generation.

I'll open up a trac ticket.  If this suggestion is a bad idea, feel free
to close the ticket.

Thanks,

Jason