On Sunday 23 September 2007 20:26, David Joyner wrote:
> On 9/23/07, Joel B. Mohler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Well, I wouldn't say I'd be "angry", but I dislike the GPLv3.  My
> > principle reason for disliking it is section 3.  I didn't read up on
> > acticle 11 of WIPO, but my understanding is that they are attempting to
> > forbid writing of DRM schemes with GPL'ed code.  I don't like where that
> > goes.  When I release code under the GPL I'm not concerned about what the
> > users do with it -- I'm only concerned that they release their code that
> > builds on it.  I believe this is two fundamentally different issues and I
> > think that the FSF is muddying the waters to mix them.
>
> The clam that GPLv3 forbids DRM schemes is called a "myth" by Ed Burnette
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/Burnette/?p=354
> I think early drafts of GPLv3 were more anti-DRm than the final draft.

I agree with his interpretation of the paragraph he quoted, but he didn't
quote the paragraph I was concerned about.  The first sentence of section 3
is what bothers me:  "No covered work shall be deemed part of an effective
technological measure ...".  Maybe I need to read these WIPO documents before
I start spewing FUD.

And, yes, it is *much* improved over earlier versions of v3 ... they were out
of hand.

> > I very much do not like the blanket "or later version" scheme for dealing
> > with the GPL.  This, to me, gives the FSF a blank check for whatever in
> > GPLv4, and after seeing GPLv3, I trust them even less than I used to.
>
> Is "GPLv2 or GPLv3 (your preference)" better?

Yes, I would consider that better, but it sort of seems like it punts on the
actual issue.  I guess I'm not really happy with any of the options so I
don't actually have an opinion.

--
Joel