On 10/18/07, Joel B. Mohler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> A couple of days ago I wrote to sage-support complaining about margins on
> plots
> -- I think they are too big.  Ironically, it seems that vanilla matplotlib
> is
> even worse for this in some respects, but sage does a couple of funny
> things
> that I'd like a plotting guru to look at.  It seems there is a couple of
> rather
> arbitrary adjustments to min/max parameters.

Yes, it is true that they are arbitrary in the sense that maybe tweaking
them a little this way or that might  give  'better' results in certain
cases,
but they are there as a result of a lot of 'testing' (read: making tons of
plots)
and taking the best values that 'in most cases' gives visually useful and
good looking plots.

 I think that each one of these
> adjustments should be reconsidered.  I attached a patch file which fixes
> my most
> immediate gripes -- I don't necessarily mean it as a patch to go upstream
> yet,
> but to generate discussion with the relevant person (Alex Clemesha?) to
> come up
> with a correct fix.

Thanks for bringing this up and working on it ...  so maybe the best
possible way to
'fix' this problem is to expose everything single possible parameter
to the user (with given defaults of course), and then in most cases
plots would look nice, but for making very exact plots, a user
has the option to do a lot of tweaking.

(Warning: Slight rant ahead) I agree that the results might be pleasing to
> the
> eye when you are just throwing up a quick graph on screen, but I abhor
> arbitrary
> adjustments when I'm trying to make publication quality .eps files.

Agreed.

 For myself,
> the publication quality graphics is the dominant use of a CAS plotting
> ability.
> Therefore, I think this needs to be very well supported mode.  In this
> case, you
> are probably using latex and latex makes it's own margin around a
> figure.  To
> make an extra margin messes with the all-knowing-wisdom of latex.  I'm
> probably
> preaching to the choir in this paragraph, but I've been seriously
> aggravated at
> every graphics engine I've used on similar points to these.  I'm hoping
> sage
> will be my panacea -- and it's looking likely!

I'm considering doing a semi-major clean up of the
plotting functionality so please jot down improvements
that you (or anyone) think could be made.

Alex