2021-04-18 08:17:31 UTC, Volker Braun:

> flatpak is designed for gui apps, registering a desktop icon and so on.

To really make use of it we'd need at least a small gui app that then

lets you start/stop the jupyter server and/or launch browser windows.

Marc Culler's SageMath-macOS app could provide inspiration for that.

If you just want to run Sage then there is already a one-liner

podman / docker command to download and run it (and with

podman any user account can do it, no permission setup needed):

>  podman run  -it sagemath/sagemath

 I installed podman under macOS using Homebrew by running
```
$ brew install podman
```
and I then got the following error running the command above:
```
$ podman run -it sagemath/sagemath
Error: cannot connect to the Podman socket, please verify that Podman
REST API service is running: Get "http://d/v3.1.2/libpod/_ping": dial
unix ///var/folders/fp/.../T/podman-run--1/podman/podman.sock:
connect: no such file or directory
```
Seems I'm missing one step to get the REST API service running.