Nick Alexander wrote:
>> if msg = "negative number cannot be raised to a fractional power" :
>>   print "In Sage, even odd fractional powers of negative numbers yield
>> complex roots"
>
> I am opposed to printing anything from the Sage library, because I
> don't want to have to interact with it in any way, including ignoring
> output.  Raising an error does not make sense here.  If this is
> really seen as a win, I suggest it be made part of a "new user's
> mode" that is off by default.

The current functionality (before the patch) was to print out a warning
if errors occurred during evaluation.  What do other people think about
changing the verbose output to a "user-friendly hand-holding" option?

For reference, Mathematica has a messaging framework that lets textual
messages to be associated with symbols and have optional arguments.
Then when you want to print a message, you call
Message[symbol::message_name, optional_arg_1, optional_arg_2, etc.].
You can run a command using the Quiet command (Quiet[SomeCommand[]])
which turns off messages, and you can turn a message on or off
permanently by calling Off[symbol::message_name] or
On[symbol::message_name].  Messages that are output are saved and can be
recalled later.  If more than three messages are printed out during a
command, then a special message is printed and further messages are
suppressed.  One nice thing about all messages going through the Message
command is that the correct language is automatically printed out
(provided a message has been translated).  It is also easy to redirect
messages to different output since all messages go through a single
function.

I suppose if we wanted to do a similar framework in Sage, we could have
a message class hierarchy (i.e., GenericMessage -> TipMessage or
WarningMessage, etc., and each of these could be turned on or off or
redirected as the user desired).  That would probably be more flexible
than an on-off global switch.

Jason