I guess you are right. In modular forms one actually works with the
complex upper half plane
equipped with the action of a discrete group. If I am not mixing
things up (which is
quite likely as I am not an expert) you want a sort of minimal
compactification which is equivariant for the action
of this group. So infinity looks different....

Still in traditional one variable complex analysis I think it is quite
clear what "infinity" means
(which is what I defined it to be). The projective line over C is a
nice compact
complex manifold.

So the upshot is: if we want to speak formally about points at
infinity we need to specify
which compactification we use. In the case of the real line we have
the choice
of the the interval (-inf,+inf) and the circle (inf). The preferred
choice of compactification
depends on the context.

Michel