On Friday, September 27, 2024 at 11:52:51 PM UTC-7 axio...@yahoo.de wrote:

this PR introduces a new kind of file, `all__sagemath_categories.py`,

Not, it's not a new kind of file. These files have been around since Sage
9.6 (https://github.com/sagemath/sage/issues/29865).

The main purpose of these files is to define the global environment for
doctesting, as documented
in
https://doc.sagemath.org/html/en/developer/doctesting.html#options-for-testing-in-virtual-environments

For example, I see that PowerSeriesRing is imported, but
LazyPowerSeriesRing is not.  I don't understand the difference.

The file pkgs/sagemath-categories/MANIFEST.in.m4 defines which modules are
shipped by the distribution package *sagemath-categories.*
The following lines there make the PowerSeriesRing available.
> include sage/rings/power_series_mpoly.p*
> include sage/rings/power_series_poly.p*
> include sage/rings/power_series_ring_element.p*
> include sage/rings/power_series_ring.p*

The modules defining LazyPowerSeriesRing are not included. This distinction
is then reflected in the all__sagemath_categories.py file as well: Can't
import from a module that is not shipped.

I thought that they were about the distribution packages, because that's
what's mentioned in the top lines.

That's right! "all__sagemath_categories.py" defines the global environment
for testing the distribution package *sagemath-categories*.