Hi,

<SNIP>
I have no intention of starting a flame war either. :)

> > Instead of switching to to Winzip I would much rather use the "Self-
> > extracting capability for 7z format" of 7zip. Bandwidth is a finite
> > resource and I am not convinced that using some crappy old compression
> > technology is the answer.
>
> Bandwidth is cheap, and though finite we are nowhere near reaching
> the limit. An additional 65MB/download or so is much cheaper than
> extra support and lost users. We can always offer both formats for
> savy users who want to save on download time. If bandwidth is an
> issue on the user side (I doubt that extra 65MB is going to change
> their mind about downloading it) that is what the DVD option at lulu
> is for (which, I just checked, has sold 8 times since I put it up two
> weeks ago).

It is *341* MB vs. *601* MB, i.e. Winzip is 80% larger than 7z. If it
were 10% I couldn't care less. And an 80% size increase is something
that is noticeable at the end of the month. Bandwidth isn't free, in
the end somebody has to pay for it.

> > And people who are unaware of the existence
> > of any compression format beyond zip out there will still click on an
> > executable.
>
> I personally dislike the idea of extracting things as self-extracting
> executables, both because I don't think people should get in the
> habit of downloading and double-clicking on .exe files, and also
> because it means the VM-ware image can't be (easily) accessed from
> non-windows boxes.

Well, I prefer not to use self extracting executables either, but we
are talking about a crowd that is unlikely to know the difference. And
you can still access self extracting executables via command line
utilities on non-Windows platforms. It isn't elegant, but it works.

> - Robert

Cheers,

Michael