On Apr 9, 10:29 pm, mabshoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
dortmund.de> wrote:
> It is *341* MB vs. *601* MB, i.e. Winzip is 80% larger than 7z. If it
> were 10% I couldn't care less. And an 80% size increase is something
> that is noticeable at the end of the month. Bandwidth isn't free, in
> the end somebody has to pay for it.

Is this at Winzip's maximum compression level?

7z is certainly a more obscure format than Winzip's, and the average
Windows user would not have it installed. If the only instruction that
7-zip needs to be installed is in the "README.txt" file on the
download page, the user might not even read it -- Windows users are
not primed to automatically open files named "README". Even if you are
using 7-zip, you would have more success by including the 7-zip file
and the README in a single (uncompressed) zip archive.

Also, it might be worth noting that Winzip (the software) can
decompress bzip2 and gzip formats as well, and those formats might
offer compression to less than 601 MB. On the other hand, Winzip
itself is getting rarer, because of Windows's built-in support for the
format (as "compressed folders").

Independent of the compression format, it might also be a good idea to
have Sage available through physical CDs on various college campuses,
and include in the "Getting Sage" instructions a pointer to where one
might obtain Sage. You would probably find volunteer students/faculty
at many universities. This would not only help the user get Sage, but
also help him/her get it installed, have more packages installed by
default, and save you bandwidth.

--Shreevatsa