An anecdote: I have been unable to get 95% of my students to install
sage on their own machines; in at least two cases they got hung up on
7zip and came to me for help.  Probably several more got stuck and
didn't come for help.  (To be fair: I haven't tried that hard to push
personal installs, since I supply three powerful servers for a class
of 12 people, and its easier to collaborate on the servers.)

A link to 7zip.org right by the archive or in the install instructions
would help.

Its funny, I often listen to faculty who are not great with computers
marvel at the skills of the "net" generation (or whatever "buzzword"
generation), but I'm not convinced that computer literacy of any depth
as increased at all since my generation (I'm in my mid-thirties) and
if anything I think it might have gone down as people get more and
more removed from the underpinnings.

-M. Hampton