THere's a ticket somewhere asking for the implementation of sensible
coercion between finite fields.  Obviously only F_q -> F_q' where q'
ia a power of q.  But I have no idea how to do this in a way which is
canonical -- so at the very least is transitive so that q -> q' -> q"
is the same as q->q".  If anyone out there has an idea here it would
be good to hear it.

Is the following a sensible strategy:

For each prime p maintain a list of fields of p-power order which have
been created so far, with maps between them, always normalised to that
if n is the largest degree of a field in the list (i.e. p^n is the
largest power of p) then all the others are divisors of n.  Now, on
the creation of a new field of size p^m, if n|m then (do something
fairly simple), or if gcd(n,m)=1 then (do something else fairly
simple, else (do something more complicated).

Does anyone know how Magma handles this?

John