Jason Grout wrote:
> Ondrej Certik wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 6:26 PM, Carl Witty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>  On Apr 13, 11:07 pm, "Ondrej Certik" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>  > Hi,
>>>  >
>>>  > yesterday on IRC I realized I don't understand these terms. :)
>>>  >
>>>  > x + x  -> 2*x    .... is this evaluation?
>>>  >
>>>  > x +y, vs.  y+x     ... is this canonicalization?
>>>  >
>>>  > Is this how everyone understands these terms? If so, we need to fix
>>>  > SymPy all over. :)
>>>
>>>  I would call "x+x -> 2*x" simplification, and "x+y -> y+x"
>>>  canonicalization.  "evaluation" would mean the process:
>>>  x + y evaluated at x=2, y=3 is 5.
>> Right. After discussing this with Garry on IRC,
>>
>> we would call "x+x -> 2*x" canonical simplification.
>>
>> Now the question is, how to call the method, that does just that. I
>> don't think it should be just called simplify(), because simplify does
>> more -- for example it chooses just one way of (x+1)**3 or (1 + 3*x +
>> 3*x**2 + x**3), but canonical simplify will just remove things like
>> x*x, or x+x, but will not perform any expensive operation.
>>
>> We came up with: cs() or canonical_simplify(), which is either too
>> short or too long imho.
>

> I'm not sure about "canonical_simplify"...I guess I'm not sure about
> where the "canonical" part comes from.  But it sounds like you're saying
> that the function is a cheap simplifying function, as opposed to more
> expensive simplifying operations:
>
> simplify_cheap?  simplify_trivial?  simplify_simple?

Sorry for replying to myself, but I vote that we keep functions that are
variants of each other to having the same prefix so that tab-completion
is more useful.  So for the above, I vote, for whatever my vote counts,
that the function starts with "simplify".

In fact, would it be hard to just make this an option to simplify?

simplify(trivial=True)

or

simplify(method="trivial")

These ideas keep the namespace slightly less cluttered or at least
organized.

Jason