On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 9:22 AM, Ondrej Certik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  Hi,
>
>  I have the following problem:
>
>  1) current sympy spkg in Sage has a file:
>
>  /sage/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/sympy/core/parser.py
>
>  that we removed in later versions of sympy, because it has the same
>  name as the standard module.
>
>  2) later, we use the standard python parser module in sympy
>
>  3) I created a new spkg, however, when I install it in sage (over the
>  current one), the old parser.py will not get removed and it will get
>  called instead of the builtin parser, thus making sympy completely
>  fail.
>
>  Easy solution is just to use "rm parser.py". However, is there
>  something that can be done with this? Or simply when you update the
>  new spkg in the new version of Sage, the old files will automatically
>  not be there, thus all will be fine.
>
>  It took me quite some time to figure out what's wrong, so I am sharing
>  my experiences. :)
>
>  Now I need to go, but later hopefully I'll fix the remaining problems
>  and create a trac ticket.

This is just a general Python distutils problem -- it's not at all specific
to Sage.  When we install sympy into sage we just do

    python setup.py install

and what happens next is Python's "fault".

Namely stupid distutils does *not* delete the target directory before
installing the new sympy.  What should be done?

Note that *anybody* installing sympy into *any* python install would
have exactly the same problem, if they have installed a previous
sympy.

Maybe setuptools (or whatever sqlalchemy uses) addresses this
problem?

 - William