Looks good to me. I think Python is actually in the top 5 languages
now, isn't it?
Maybe Perl is 5 and Python is 6?

In any case, my only suggestion is to emphasize the point that *you*
needed an alternative
to the M's by pointing out somehow that (a) the others are propritary
and therefore not
sufficiently customizable, (b) your field of speciality (modular
abelian varieties)
is an extremely technical mixture of a number of areas (algebraic
number theory,
algebraic geometry, group theory) and *therefore* you needed your
software to smoothly
combine and interface computations in these different fields. Bad
sentence construction,
I know, but that's my 2 cents.