Just to throw a few thoughts in, I think sage is excellently
positioned to have a big impact for empiricists and theoreticians
within the biological sciences as well as bio-informatics.  I haven't
trudged through much of openwetware yet, but it might be useful to
expand/make another page that shows how easy it is to do bread&butter
population-genetic analysis, such as equilibria, invasability,
stability plots, etc.  It'd be easy to adapt some examples from Otto &
Day 2007 as they used mathematica to do most everything including
plots.  An obvious conclusion to this would be the really clever
coalescent simulator that you've designed.  I'm still quite new to
sage and python, but I'm happy to help in some fashion with this. On
the empiricist side, it might be good to show the benefits of wrapping
R into sage with a simple data set (I think this has been done already
to some extent), combining sage utility with R functionality.  If I
remember correctly many of the the examples highlighted that you could
use R within sage, not how the combination would be useful. I've
become really excited about this project in the last month since I've
become aware of it, because I think it can already replace most of the
functionality that matlab/mathematica provides for many biologists.
For what it's worth, I'm a second year graduate student in
evolutionary biology at the university of texas.
Regards,
Thomas