On Wed, 07 May 2008 at 11:12AM -0700, William Stein wrote:
> On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 11:07 AM, John H Palmieri <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > (For what it's worth, I've seen LaTeX gurus complain that one should
> > not use $$ $$ for displaying math; \[ \] is  better.  Should the
> > default value of 'sep' be changed?)
>
> Why?  I think \[ and \] are ugly and hard to type compared to $$'s.
> What makes them so much better?

This is a minor point, and not directly related to LaTeX or Sage, but
recently  I was trying to parse LaTeX documents, and using distinct
delimters for the beginning and end of special chunks of text makes
parsing easier. Certainly you can parse $$...$$, but I like \[...\].

As for being hard to type, I use vim-latexsuite, which automatically
inserts a displaymath environment when I type 'EDM'. I'm sure emacs
could be convinced to do something similar. :)

Dan

--
---  Dan Drake <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
-----  KAIST Department of Mathematical Sciences