On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 11:41 AM, John H Palmieri <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> How do you put a backslash in a documentation string for a function?
>
> def function(x, str=''):
>    r"""
>    The string str could be a LaTeX command like '\vspace{3em}'.
>    """
>    return None
>
> If I type 'function?', I get
>
>  The string str could be a LaTeX command like 'vspace{3em}'.
>
> Note that the backslash is not printed, but I want it to be. I've
> tried various permutations with \ vs. \\, and with r""" vs. """ at the
> beginning of the doc string, but I have had no luck.\

The backslash is there.  Try

  function.__doc__

to see it.  The "problem" is that docstrings are run through
a detex'ing procedure before being displayed.  I don't remember
is there is a way to make that detexing show backslashes.

The detex function is in devel/sage/sage/misc/sagedoc.py.
Looking at it we see that if you do this instead you'll see the backslash:

def function(x, str=''):
   r"""nodetex