> there is an "obvious" convention that by default we mean the positive
> root.

We have to distinguish between solutions of polynomials and roots.
Roots are clearly defined mono-valued functions:
z.nth_root(n)=e^(log(z)/n)
however this function is not continuous in z, as log is not continuous
at the negative real axis. This makes things complicated.

>  It's a lot more complicated when you deal with general
> algebraic numbers which have several ways of being embedded into CC.
> Even for square roots of negative reals:  you might suggest taking the
> root with positive imaginary part,  but then sqrt(-2)*sqrt(-3) equals
> -sqrt(6) and not +sqrt(6).

by the above definition this can easily be computed:
sqrt(-2)*sqrt(-3)=e^(log(-2)/2+log(-3)/2)=sqrt(6)e^(-pi*i/2-pi*i/
2)=sqrt(6)*(-1)

I never said it is simple but I am sure that there are equality
deciding algorithms.
And I really want to learn about those.