On Jun 9, 9:23 am, "Dr. David Kirkby" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The R manual says R fails tests if built with gcc 4 (where 4.00 or 4.x
> is not specified) on Solaris x86. I will try a build on Solaris x86 as
> some time with both Forge and gcc, but not today.
>
> Dave

The official source of R (ver 2.7.0) on SPARC builds and tests ok on
SPARC (with both gcc and Forte).

I tried a build of R with gcc 4.0.2 on Solaris x86, but whilst it
built ok, it did fail a test.

Next I tried to build R with the Sun compiler, configuring as:

$ ./configure CC=cc -xc99 CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/csw/include CFLAGS=-O -
xlibmieee F77=f95 FFLAGS=-O4 CXX=CC CXXFLAGS=-O FC=f95 FCFLAGS=
LDFLAGS=-L/opt/csw/lib SHLIB_CXXLDFLAGS=-G -lCstd

R would not build, generating an odd error message:

cc -xc99 -I../../src/extra/zlib -I../../src/extra/bzip2 -I../../src/
extra/pcre  -I. -I../../src/include -I../../src/include -I/opt/csw/
include -DHAVE_CONFIG_H    -O -xlibmieee -c saveload.c -o saveload.o
"saveload.c", [RemakeNextSEXP]:ube: error: Assert has been violated at
'/set/mars_patch/builds.intel-S2/nightly.Fri/intel-S2/lang/ube/opt/src/
cfg.c 9201'.
cc: ube failed for saveload.c

I think this is a compiler bug. There are certainly reports of this on
other software, and Sun have released a patch just over a month ago

126498-06

which is supposed to correct this. Since Solaris Express does not
support patches (its the 'leading edge' stuff), so I can't apply the
patch officially. But given I had little to lose, I copied the files
manually. But it did not cure the problem.

I can't actually build R 2.7.0 on Solaris x86 and get it to work - gcc
builds R, but R fails a test, Forte does not build R at all, but I
think this is a compiler error. I suspect if I played with the flags I
might get it to work, but I have not tried that.

Dave