Thank you all for the responses.

I solved the problem by mimicking the python interpreter and writing a
script which appends modules to sys.path. It's included below. (If
anyone thinks this is a bad idea, please comment; thanks!)

> Sage ships it own python
I would humbly recommend that this issue somehow be made more visible
to the user, who may be confused at to why sage isn't respecting the
python environment variables or using the defauly python distribution.
Perhaps some way to tell sage's python to use installed packages if
they're compatible?

Best wishes,
Mats

SITE_PACKAGES_DIR = '/usr/local/lib64/python2.5/site-packages'
#replace with your own
import sys
import os
# can also perhaps loop over directories in
posix.environ['PYTHONPATH'].split(':')
for (root,dirs,files) in os.walk(SITE_PACKAGES_DIR):
    sys.path += [root]
    for file in files: #add each .egg compressed directory to the path
        if file[-4:]=='.egg':
            sys.path += [os.path.join(root, file)]
    del dirs