On Jun 28, 2:16 pm, mabshoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Jun 28, 2:10 pm, Carl Witty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Another question about the rewrite: does anybody mind if I break
> > unpickling of old pickled fast_float objects?  I can make them work,
> > but it would require keeping around hundreds of lines of code that I'd
> > rather get rid of.
>
> I believe the current policy is to preserve the old pickles since we
> now have the pickle jar to do regression testing. And I agree with
> that policy since we must avoid breaking backward compatibility at all
> (reasonable) cost. Since we have versioned pickles would that cause
> massive pain for you?

Well, I'm planning to basically rewrite it from scratch; supporting
the old pickles means either writing a lot of new code to translate
old objects into the new system, or keeping around the entire old
implementation only to support the old pickles.

It seems quite possible that nobody has any old pickled fast_float
objects that they care about.  If we think people really do have old
fast_float objects laying around, then I'll do the work to support
unpickling them.

> > Carl
>
> By the way: What happened to looking into LLVM in the context of
> fast_float?

That's phase 2 :)

> Cheers,
>
> Michael