On Jun 30, 11:44 pm, Robert Bradshaw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> As the author of the original fast_float stuff, I want to give a big
> +1 to this project. I've been wanting to do something like this for
> some time but it's never gotten high enough on my priority list to
> actually code up. One caveat is that you go with a more general
> instruction set, I would like to see benchmarks to make sure that
> there isn't any speed regression.

Certainly benchmarks will be involved :)

> > By default, \function{fast_callable} only removes a bit of
> > interpretive overhead from the evaluation, but all of the individual
> > arithmetic operations are done using standard \sage arithmetic.  You
> > can
> > specify a particular domain for the evaluation using \code{over=}:
>
> > sage: ff = fast_callable(f, over=RR)
>
> the keyword "over" sound odd to me, maybe "domain."

I'll change this; thanks for the suggestion.

> > To provide \function{fast_callable} for your own class (so that
> > \code{fast_callable(x)} works when \variable{x} is an instance of your
> > class), implement a method \code{_fast_callable_(self, etb)} for your
> > class.
> > This method takes an \class{ExpressionTreeBuilder}, and returns an
> > expression tree built up using the methods described above.
>
> I think common subexpressions should be (loosely) checked for
> equality, *not* restricting to the same Python instance only.

Hmm... this is a tradeoff between speed in constructing the
fast_callable and speed in using it.  Do other people think that
common subexpressions are likely?

> The question of unpickling old fast_float objects has come up. These
> may have gotten attached to pickled symbolic expressions or
> polynomials, so should be unpicklable. However, if one writes a
> compatible _unpickle_FastDoubleFunc then one doesn't need to care
> they whole old implementation around.

I can't find any caching for fast_float objects (I can't see anywhere
they would get attached to a symbolic expression or a polynomial).  Am
I just not looking in the right place?

> - Robert

Carl