On Jul 13, 8:00 pm, mabshoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> solaris express and it blew up on pari.
>
> It really depends on the toolchain on Solaris and as is a gcc
> configured with the Sun ld will not work for various reasons beyond
> Pari.

I've just built 4.3.1 with binutils 2.18. I will see how that works
with Sage.

> > Turns out
> > the pari shared library is build without any PIC
> > flag and that caused his linker to just give up.
> > Turns out that the problem is in fact widespread
> > across a number of archs where the linker emits
> > a warning about DT_TEXTREL (usually) but still
> > return a shared object. I know it affects me on
> > linux-x86.
>
> It does depend on the toolchain on Linux also, more about that below.

If at all possible, this dependancy should be removed, or at least
reduced. It's not ideal that one has to have very specific compiler
versions, which use a particular linker and assembler. Given Sun
distribute gcc, if possible it would be nice for Sage to build with
that.

Of course, the Sun compiler suite would be preferable, as that is more
fixed and you can just say to someone to use it. Experience tells me
the goal posts don't move as much as they do with gcc.

I've just built gcc-4.3.1 (the latest) from source code, but it is not
a trivual process. Attempting to compile a recent gcc with an old gcc
is likely to fail, as is trying to compile gcc with Sun's compiler.
The only way I could build the latest gcc was to compile a later
version than what I had, then use this to compile the latest version.
I think I went

1) 4.0.2 (with Sun linker)
2) 4.0.3 (with latest gnu binutils)
3) 4.2.2 (with latest gnu binutils)
4) 4.3.1 (the latest gcc, with the latest binutils).

If at all possible, this sort of thing should be avoided, as it makes
it difficult for someone to build software.

The fact the development tools on Solaris can be a bit of a mess is
probably one reason that places like Blastwave and Sunfreeware don't
tend to update gcc much.

Dave