On 14 Jul, 19:20, mabshoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Jul 14, 1:18 am, "Dr. David Kirkby" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> Hi David,

Hi Michael,

> It will be one probably somewhat large spkg. When you build Sage on
> Solaris it will recommend that you use it before anything else in Sage
> is build. If you decide to use it it will either be installed in $HOME
> somewhere or specficially into the current Sage install. I am planning
> that the SFW in /usr/sfw is all that is required to build the custom
> toolchain.

It seems quite logical and sensible.

> Yes, the requirement for root access would seriously hamper Sage on
> Solaris, so it will work all self contained in $HOME. I do not have
> root access on a number of Solaris boxen I test build Sage on, so it
> could not work if root acccess were required.

Again, we seem to have similar thoughts on that one.

> One large appeal of Sage is that building it from source mostly
> involved punching "make" into the command line and coming back after a
> while. The toolchain would add about two hours on a fast machine to
> this (and potentially much, much more on some slower Sparc box), but
> since you can do it only once for a number of Sage installs that seems
> much better for me since the debug environment will be consitent. It
> is likely that we will need to upgrade the toolchain every once in a
> while as time progresses, but so is the life of a software developer.

You could probably cut down the time to build the tools by only
building what is necessary - i.e. don't build compilers for all the
obscure languages gcc supports -  and builds by default. I assume you
only need C, C++ and Fortran - there is no need for Java, Ada, object
C, or whatever other obscure things gcc supports.

Parallel builds would be useful to speed up the build process on multi-
processor machines. Virtually all the Suns I have here are either dual
or quad processor, or dual core in the case of my laptop. One
exception is a single processor rack-mount server.

> Yep, the toolchain will be documented, i.e. what is build how and for
> what purpose, so you could take the instructions and replicate what I
> am doing automatically.

Also consider that a system admin might build the tool chain once, and
let multiple users use it, so ideally one would want the option of
using the tools from a directory that is not part of $HOME/sage.

Dave