>>> It seems that SAGE is also missing a geometry sketchpad component.  It
>>> would be nice to add the GPLed 2D/3D geometry sketchpad program known
>>> as Geogebra (http://www.geogebra.org).
>>
>> This has been discussed before. I think it has serious licensing
>> incompatibility issues and also uses java.

Making it easy to include Geogebra based applets in the Sage notebook
would be a worthwhile thing to do, and I'm sure can be done in a way that
avoids licensing problems.   The Geogebra project itself is confused
about software licenses -- they write on their download page "You are
free to copy, distribute and transmit GeoGebra for non-commercial
purposes. Please see the GeoGebra license for details."  The license
itself on code is according
to the license:"GeoGebra's source code is subject to the GNU General
Public License:"  So in fact they cannot restrict its use to
non-commercial
purposes.   I'll write to the project for clarification in a moment.

The fact that Geogebra applets use java is certainly not a show stopper
for them having something to do with Sage, since jmol also uses java.
It might make a lot of sense e.g., to have an optional geogebra spkg
that makes it trivial for people to create a bunch of geogebra applets
in the sage notebook...

>>> Finally, there is a very good graphing program known as K3DSurf
>>> (http://k3dsurf.sourceforge.net/) that makes very good 3D/4D/5D graph
>>> models.  Please consider adding this program into SAGE as well.
>>
>> Were you able to download and compile the source code for this?
>> The website (or my computer) was very slow for me, so I gae up looking.
>> If you did so, what OS did you use? Do you know the license for k3dsurf?
>

> k3dsurf is a standard package that can be installed on ubuntu through
> the package manager.  It is nice, but I think it's a kde thing, which
> would be a problem on Mac OSX, Windows, and other platforms we do or
> would like to support.

k3dsurf is a kde gui program, hence completely unsuitable for inclusion
in Sage.  Plus sage already has 3d surface plotting.

William