On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 11:18 AM, Ondrej Certik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 7:39 PM, Robert Dodier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> On Aug 20, 11:18 pm, Tim Lahey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>> 1. Commands to parse expressions.
>>
>> Maxima has various expression-hacking functions.
>> Most objects are expressions.
>>
>>> 2. Like M. Hampton, I miss implicit variables.
>>
>> Maxima makes default assumptions about variables,
>> and doesn't require them to be declared before use.
>> This is part of Maxima's general sloppiness but it does make
>> for ease of use.
>>
>>> 3. Somewhat related to #1, is the ability to make new variables/
>>> function names from old ones.
>>
>> Maxima function concat.
>>
>>> To  illustrate this, my Maple code for this is:
>>
>> I glanced at the code and it looks like it should be translateable
>> to Maxima. Maybe I'll try it this weekend.
>>
>> I'm pushing Maxima here for two reasons; one is that the solution
>> for the problems stated here might be close at hand after all.
>> More selfishly, I'd like to get more people using and (I hope)
>> developing Maxima rather than reinventing its wheels.
>
> +1, however, how about speed? Are you able to make maxima as fast as
> ginac? And faster, because (unless I am mistaken) Mathematica is even
> faster than ginac?
>
> In SymPy at least, we want to be as fast eventually.

I'm really sick of this.  "Fast" is meaningless without specific benchmarks,
and then only certain ones should matter.   Here's a list to get going:

                 http://wiki.sagemath.org/symbench

It would be nice to have some specific concrete examples involving
pattern matching, substitution, etc.   Please post something concrete
to this list that matters to you.  It doesn't have to be possible in sage now
(see e.g., W5 at the above page).

William