On Aug 21, 10:39 pm, Tim Lahey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Aug 21, 2008, at 10:22 PM, Jason Merrill wrote:
>
> > That sounds good too, as long as boundary conditions are input in the
> > form of equations rather than grunts.  I like it a little less in the
> > case that you don't want to supply any boundary conditions--then you'd
> > have to supply an empty list to avoid resorting to keywords, right?
> > On the other hand, it might make it a little easier if you wanted to
> > try the same equation with a bunch of different sets of boundary
> > conditions or something like that.  And as for "useful in the solution
> > process", I don't mind if the parser has to work hard on my behalf ;-)
>
> Yes, I've found that since you're often getting the boundary conditions
> and the equations separately, it's easier to have them as two separate
> lists. If I remember correctly, this is what Maple does. Yes, if there
> are no boundary conditions, you'd have to provide an empty list. I
> don't think that's really much of a problem.

I've never used Maple, but the Wikipedia example shows equation and
boundary conditions in a single list:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maple_(software)#Solution_of_linear_differential_equations,
which is the same as Mathematica and my earlier suggestion.  The thing
I don't like about an empty list is that it doesn't really represent
anything mathematical, and things like that which only serve to please
a parser are harder to learn and remember.  If you are given the
equations and boundary conditions as separate lists, it's pretty easy
to combine them:

dsolve(eqns+bcs,y,x)

though the concatenation operator being + is unfortunate in a
mathematical context.  Also, it's annoying if one of eqns or bcs is
actually a single element and not a list.

JM