Robert,

That's not what I'm looking for (I think).
The following equation is what I normally deal with
using LaTeX notation,

\frac{d}{d t}\left(\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q_i}}\right)
= \left(\frac{\partial L}{\partial q_i}\right)

where i=1,...,n and L(q_i,\dot{q_i},t). Note that q_i
is a function of at least t. This is the Euler-Lagrange
equation. It's the basis for most advanced dynamics.

So, I want to differentiate L with respect to \dot{q_i) and
q_i as if they were just x and t in a normal derivative.
This is why my code replaces the functions with symbols and
then takes the derivative with respect to these placeholder
symbols and then reverses it.

I hope I made this clearer.

Cheers,

Tim.