Arnaud Bergeron wrote:
> There is a strong possibility that for the next semester I will be
> working on the graphics area of sage.  I would working more on the
> visible side than the innards but that does not mean I will not touch
> the innards if need be.
>
> Currently I have these items that I think need work / I would like to work on
>
> - better implicit plot
> - volumetric rendering (like a contour plot, but in 3D)

JMOL has some nice capabilities as far as volumetric rendering goes.
I've played with it for a day, but in the end wasn't able to get
something to work before I ran out of time.  Apparently in chemistry,
though, there are several formats for representing volumetric data which
are rather straightforward (i.e., just list in a 3d grid the values) and
JMOL also has a nice algorithm for extracting just the surface data for
a particular contour level and efficiently storing that.

Also, you might look at doing 2d region plotting.  See
http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/2770 for an example start on this.

I think it would be *really* cool to have something like Mathematica's
RegionPlot and RegionPlot3D:

http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/ref/RegionPlot.html

http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/ref/RegionPlot3D.html

or a clipping framework like the RegionFunctions provides in Mathematica:

http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/ref/RegionFunction.html

Thanks,

Jason