> Thanks Vincent for the information.  One reason I am choosing not to
> use povray is the license, which I believe is not compatible with
> inclusion in Sage.

Ah. I didn't know about the license, I had a look and indeed it is not
quite free enough. BTW I am not pushing povray as such, simply saying
that a way to export a plot into some scene description language is
doable with minimal, or at least reasonable, work.

> Btw, the tachyon raytracer does seem to have good multicore support dy
> default.  Unfortunately it cannot animate.  I wish we had someone who
> could add that ability - to be clear, I think we need good movie
> format in terms of compression and multiplatform support.  Animating
> GIFs is well supported but too clunky for longer animations.

In terms of compression, nothing will beat a script for the raytracer du
jour, but that's not quite an animation format. In terms of movies,
there are a few cross-platform possibilities but if you want to be
really careful you will have to look into patents this time ... A few
believable possibilities :

- Integrate mencoder/mplayer, or at least one agreed-upon codec. Use a
  raytracer to generate frames, via a script, encode that into video,
  play the video. Except that embedding video into a web page (such as
  the notebook) in a cross-platform way is a pain where you guess -
  although mp4/h264 works in many places. If you only want movies to
  play on machines where Sage is installed, then mplayer (or VLC) really
  should be cross-platform - but it breaks the whole notebook way.

- Integrate something like ffmpeg, encode to flash .flv, and rely on the
  presence of flash player. That's even less cross-platform, but on the
  other hand flash is installed wherever it can be.

- Look for / write some kind of animation description format and a
  real-time player using OpenGL, that is cross-platform. Or maybe a java
  applet. That's the only way to get some interactivity, but if it
  doesn't exist yet it quite a bit of work.

/v

--
Vincent Beffara
UMPA - ENS Lyon