On Sep 9, 2008, at 4:36 PM, Jason Merrill wrote:
> On Sep 9, 6:35 pm, Justin Walker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[snip]
>> I can't tell if this is just an artifact of some funky debugging
>> interaction (am I debugging the debugger?), or whether this is really
>> where the code goes.
>>
>> Anyone have a clue to spare?  Something I'm missing?
>>
>> Justin
>
> It looks like the check to see if your expression is none is actually
> dominating the run time of this function (see mhansen's response).
> First, that suggests that this is a poor candidate for caching.
> Premature optimization is the root of all evil, etc.

I get all this, although it's good to see it in print.

My real question (not well-posed, I admit) was WTF?  Or, in more
prosaic language, why is it that the fairly simple question, "is foo
== None", takes so long.  Given Mike's response, I can expand the
question: "why is 'foo is None' so much quicker than 'foo == None'?".

Thanks, as always, for your cogent replies.  Seriously.  Your (JasonM/
s) example is a good one to ponder.

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon at Large