Hi, all,

I'm looking at the patches John mentioned in another thread
(<http://groups.google.com/group/sage-devel/browse_thread/thread/9d7eafe3d36f0d27

 >).  A couple of comments:

1) I'm removing Pari/Magma usage from the code
2) There is now some support for negative definite (using a new
    method to provide matrix action on forms; see below [1]) and
    indefinite forms
3) John thinks that self.reduce() should actually modify
    'self'; is everyone agreed on that? See below [2]

[1] The method takes a matrix, V, and returns a BQF that looks like
      self(V.[x,y]^t)
     An alternate version would be to return
      (det V) self(V.[x,y]^t)
     which is what Buchmann/Vollmer used to define the form "f.V",
     given f and V.  I tend to like the latter, but the former is
     more general (though maybe not more generally useful).

[2] I fussed over this while working on my patch, and finally decided
     to leave it alone.  Is there any cause to be concerned about
caching,
     by code using the BQF code?  It might be disconcerting to find
things
     changing under you.  I may have missed discussion on the lists
about
     this; apologies if this has been kneaded to a tough consistency.

Thoughts?

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large, Director
Institute for the Enhancement of the Director's Income