1) My computer is a desktop with an Athlon k7 800Mhz + 384 Mo RAM.
The hardware sensor checking the temperature is up an running but
never
set off an alarm.

2) I've given it a try again, but compilation has leaded to the same
failure.
I saw this in the log file :
"ATLAS failed to build because your system is too heavily loaded to
obtain
accurate timing.  Please restart the build by typing make, when the
load on
your system has decreased."
This message has appeared although I took care not launching others
parallel
tasks to avoid overload.

3) I saw in the trac list a ticket suggesting to reuse the Atlas
package provided by the current stable debian distro (this is the one
I use). May be I just have to be patient. I currently use a pre-
compiled
Sage version 2.11 provided by the sage team (named Debian+k7). But I
don't
want to bother you asking for a new one since my architecture is
somewhat
outdated now, and I suppose, there is too little demand.

Anyway, if you have some suggestions, I listen to you...

And thanks again for this great soft !