On Sep 23, 4:05 pm, "Georg S. Weber" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 24 Sep., 00:34, mabshoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> > On Sep 23, 3:27 pm, "Georg S. Weber" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:
>
> > > On 23 Sep., 10:07, "John Cremona" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > <SNIP>
>
> > > I'll open more tickets for other failures, as soon I can say for sure
> > > "it' only timing" and have a new "good" timing constant.
>
> > Please do not open any more tickets, but post the logs somewhere so I
> > can take a long. The timeout for long is 30 minutes, so if the test
> > does not finish it is most likely that the job either got pushed
> > deeply into swap or something else bad happened. "testlong" is not
> > meant for ancient PPC boxen :)

Oops, I meant to answer this, too.

> Well, that's a question of how much robustness you want.
> If it does work even on five-year old PPCs, it is less likely to break
> randomly in other "unforseen" circumstances. E.g. porting should be
> the easier, the more robust and stable Sage is ;-)

Sure, I agree. But if you start some test series that explicitly
mentions that it is "long" don't expect it to work on some ancient
piece of hardware. I agree that you uncovered and fixed some long
outstanding bug which is highly appreciated, but there is a limit to
what is fixable, i.e. when you do hit swap deeply it is game over and
there is nothing we can do. What might be a good idea is to add
"#large" to the doctests so that we can do more fine tuned doctesting
and on machines with known little memory -long would work and not run
the tests that will bring it to its knees because of memory
consumption.

I just talked to Mike Hansen and we will upgrade clisp as well as
Maxima in 3.1.3.alpha1 tonight, so let's see how that plays out on
your PPC machine :)

Cheers,

Michael