On Oct 30, 12:08 am, "Mike Hansen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 3:50 PM, Mike Hansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hello,
>
> > On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 1:48 PM, Martin Rubey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> As far as I know, Mike Hansen ported Ralf Hemmecke's lazy power series,
> >> too, to
> >> python.  They are not "exposed", however.
>
> > In Sage 3.1.4, LazyPowerSeriesRing is exported to the global
> > namespace.  You can find the source here:
> >http://www.sagemath.org/hg/sage-main/file/3859ace86968/sage/combinat/....
> >  One of the nice things about (and primary motivations behind) Ralf's
> > code is to allow for recursively defined series by keeping track of a
> > lower bound on the order of all series wherever possible.

Ya, my code does that too. I even implemented formal Laurent-Series
for some operations (negative lower bound).

Many interesting things in power series manipulation are not
implemented in your LazyPowerSeriesRing, for example:
reciprocal 1/f, non-integer powers, inverse power series, non-integer
iteration, and not to mention a lot of base series (log(x+1), sin,
cos, tan, arcsin, arctan, sinh, ..., they are much slower if produced
from derivation of functions.)
I did not even find a constructor for the power series development of
a given function at a certain development point (taylor series).

So how do we continue here? There is the possibility of a merge or of
a competition, I dont know whether the latter is possible at all in
Sage (two packages with similar functionality but different
implementation). Perhaps one would put them in different topics
combinatorics vs. analysis, or something. Any good suggestions?