On Nov 5, 2008, at 9:23 AM, David Joyner wrote:

> Should we consider creating our own "Sage documentation license"?
> As was pointed out, "public domain" not only doesn't exist in some
> countries, it also isn't a license technically speaking.

Much of the headache in choosing a license is that there are already
too many open source licenses out there, often with slight, non-
obvious incompatibilities. Unless we need something truly unique,
let's not make another.

> I am personally happy with the GFDL 1.3, but some might find it
> a bit of overkill.

It does seem kind of absurd to use a license that is more verbose
(and impenetrable, one hopes) than the presentation it is attached
to. However, if no license is attached, then the default copyright
that is applied is the most restrictive.

I generally favor the Creative Commons license(s) for these kinds of
things, but even the Attribution clause might become onerous after a
while (would one have to include a list of slide acknowledgments and
license statement in every talk? Actually, I would be OK with this).
I think the wiki should say at the top something like "Unless
otherwise stated, the talks below are in the public domain and can be
copied and re-used without any restriction." One would, of course,
have to get permission before uploading anyone else's talk. If people
want to choose a different license, they are free to specify one.

- Robert