Thanks, William, for the reply.

Might not have been 100% clear about what works and what doesn't.

I can edit the text of simple demo worksheets by hand and get the
"name=" plus the "#" constructions to move from one worksheet to
another and land on the right location.

I use tex4ht to translate my LaTeX source to files that are compatible
with jsMath to render the mathematics.  The source for these looks
quite complicated, but they render nicely in worksheets after very
minor edits on the header/footer.

Whatever it is that tex4ht is producing, it looks to me like XHTML
plus jsMath (but I'm no expert on all these dialects).  Cross-page
links use an "id=" tag for the target (landing location), as maybe
"name=" is deprecated.  This is what I can't get to work.  I can't
seem to land on the "id=" location, even if I change it to "name=".

I will do some more testing and create some simple worksheets that
isolate the behavior.  Maybe if I post the samples on sagenb.org it
would be easier for folks to see and understand the situation.

Rob