On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 7:57 AM, Simon King <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Dear Team,
>
> I have a question concerning the creation of an spkg, and do not find
> an answer in http://modular.math.washington.edu/sage/doc/prog/node46.html
>
> Suppose a package requires that another optional package (in my case:
> the SmallGroups library in Gap) is installed.
>
> Is it possible, when a package is installed, that automatically the
> latest version of database_gap (or is it in gap_packages?) gets
> installed as well?

I think nobody every implemented a "install latest version of package foo"
yet for Sage.  That's been on the todo list for *years*.

> If it is possible: Is it recommended?

It certainly makes a lot of sense, because it is exactly what Debian,
Redhat, Fink,
etc., *all* do.  However, David Joyner's remarks about licenses are also very
relevant.  A compromise could be that whenever *auto*-installling, one has to
interactively agree to any non-GPLv2+ compatible license.

William

--
William Stein
Associate Professor of Mathematics