Hello folks,

here is rc0, a day or so late. The tarball and its friends have been
relaxing for the last 12 hours in the usual place since I build tested
it once to make 100% there were no new build failures before
announcing and then fell asleep, so if you didn't watch IRC you lost
out to be the first person to report an issue. At least two people did
an upgrade and did not report any test failures, so things are looking
pretty good. :)

Anyway, as usual the bits are in

   http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/mabshoff/release-cycles-3.3/

Compared over 3.3.a6 we fixed the MPIR "make check" failure with
specific XCode releases and also merged a bunch of speedup fixes in
the graph as well as matrix code. Some other long standing issues that
were being help up by recent Pynac changes made it into this release
after the issues with Pynac were resolved. There were more fixes for
the notebook and interact, improvements to the number field code,  as
well as various random other improvements and bug fixes.

Note that I did merge the gzip patch from #2113 that turned on
compression for the notebook per default since I forgot to actually
merge the patch itself in 3.3.alpha6 after I added the new
twisted.spkg. I do thank Dan Drake for noticing and pointing it out to
me in IRC :)

>From here on there will be an rc1, but the 3.3 release needs to get
out soon. The number of open issues and blockers has gone down to the
point where the only true blocker is the FC 9/10 out of memory issue
at startup with linSingular which so far does ironically not even have
a ticket. I will take care of that shortly. But there are still
roughly 13 tickets open against 3.3 and for simplicity below a a copy
& paste from my watch list. Feel free to known a item off the list
today :)

Cheers,

Michael

mabshoff's watch list for 3.3:

No ticket:

 * FC 9/10 out of memory at startup due to libSingular [this one is
the only true blocker]
 * libSingular + mallox=system minpoly and Rational() dtor blowup

Unresolved blocker:

#4942: find_root() is broken when interval borders cannot be evaluated
(Mike looked at it, it seems like a scipy issue)
#5100: worksheets: can't empty the trash (safari only?) (no lead)

Needs spkg/patch:

#4666: Michael Abshoff: Make -bdist create canonical binary names
#5216: Michael Abshoff: Update bzip2 to 1.0.5 release (Security)
#5217: Michael Abshoff: update libpng to 1.2.34 (Security)
#5218: Michael Abshoff: Update Pyhton to 2.5.4 (Security)
#5219: Michael Abshoff: Build ATLAS in dist mode with SSE2 only (make
sure to set appropriate sage-flags)

Needs doctest fix:

#4752: Josh Kantor: list_plot3d crashes sage with some exact input
[Reviewed by Mike Hansen, William Stein, Michael Abshoff]

Needs a patch the interfaces/gap.py - this one is important for the
Debian people:

#3337: David Joyner, Michael Abshoff: Upgrade gap-guava to new
4.4.12/3.9 release [Reviewed by Michael Abshoff, Carl Witty]

Needs rereview:

#5098: Yann Laigle-Chapuy, John Cremona: Pollard rho algorithm for
generic discrete logarithm
#5112: Yann Laigle-Chapuy:  generic Pollard lambda algorithm (has
dependency on #5098)

Needs review:

#5106: Robert Bradshaw: preparse bug with time and generator
assignment naming
#5104: Robert Bradshaw: setup.py dependency checking issues

Merged in Sage 3.3.rc0:

#2898: Jason Grout, Nick Alexander, Carl Witty: Coerce integral float
and RDF to Integers [Reviewed by Robert Bradshaw, Mike Hansen]
#3214: Alex Ghitza, Burcin Erocal: uniformise the behaviour of gcd for
rational numbers [Reviewed by John Cremona, Robert Bradshaw]
#4721: Paul Butler: Indefinite integration for piecewise functions
[Reviewed by David Joyner]
#5101: Carl Witty: more types for sage_input: vectors, matrices, etc.
[Reviewed by Jason Grout]
#5142: John Palmieri: speed up elementary_divisors for sparse integer
matrices [Reviewed by Alex Ghitza]
#5185: John Palmieri: is_zero is broken for sparse vectors [Reviewed
by Carl Witty]
#5194: Mike Hansen: add option to turn off automatic updates for an
interact [Reviewed by John Perry]
#5199: Carl Witty: new symbolics can treat floats as integers
inappropriately [Reviewed by Burcin Erocal]
#5205: Michael Abshoff: Set "# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-" encoding for
sage/server/notebook/template.py [Reviewed by Mike Hansen]
#5207: Alex Ghitza: remove unnecessary use of symbolics in doctests in
weierstrass_morphism.py [Reviewed by John Cremona]
#5208: Rob Beezer: Differing behavior for matrix left_kernel vs.
right_kernel [Reviewed by Mike Hansen, Michael Abshoff]
#5209: Michael Abshoff: Sage 3.3.a6: numerical noise in sage/plot/
plot.py on OpenSUSE 11.1 64 bit [Reviewed by Marshall Hampton]
#5210: Bill Hart, Gonzalo Tornaria, Michael Abshoff:  gmp-
mpir-0.9.rc3: make check failure on various OSX boxen [Reviewed by
Nick Alexander]
#5215: Michael Abshoff: Remove ipython1-20070130.spkg from Sage
[Reviewed by Mike Hansen]
#5212: Nick Alexander: bug with numbers in names in
sage.structure.parent_gens.normalize_names [Reviewed by David Roe]
#5222: William Stein: wrap FLINTs pseudo-division algorithm for
univariate polynoials over ZZ [Reviewed by Burcin Erocal]
#5224: Robert Miller: speed up isomorphism testing for graphs which
are c_graphs [Reviewed by Michael Abshoff]
#5231: Nick Alexander: make relative number fields lazy [Reviewed by
David Roe]
#5232: William Stein: interact -- major bug in interact ranges due to
str versus repr [Reviewed by Mike Hansen]
#5233: Mike Hansen: improve timings for adjacency_matrix,
weighted_adjacency_matrix, and kirchoff_matrix [Reviewed by Jason
Grout]