Hi there:

First of all, I officially release my modifications of the sage logo
under the http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/ license, as
it's a derivative work of Alex's and his license now obliges me to
share-alike ;-)

Now, being settled that, I have some thoughts about the ongoing
discussion. What Robert says seems quite reasonable to me, as we're
not lawyers, but programmers and scientists, and we have no time to
worry about these matters, so having a supporting legal institution
like CC is better.
Anyway, in GPL projects like SAGE, trademark is gained by prestige,
not by legal rights, and any use of the logo by other people is a
tribute.

Cheers!

Sirio