I taught one of the programmers for this, Stephen DeSalvo, a few years
ago; I think he is the brother of the founder, Chris DeSalvo.  It was
a dynamical systems course, and I recall that he was interested in
some of the computational aspects so that he could develop things for
this software (then only for the Pocket PC).  So they've been working
on this sort of thing for 6-8 years.

I'm not sure how much money they are really making, it was definitely
just a sideline for Stephen in 2003 or so, but I expect that they are
doing better now that they are targeting multiple platforms.

That's about all I know - I remember thinking it was great motivation
for really learning mathematics :)

Marshall