On Feb 19, 11:36 am, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]

<SNIP>

> Anyway, John, you don't have to worry about this anymore, since it has
> nothing to do with your code.
>
> Martin Albrecht and the Singular team -- on the other hand...
>
> William

Well, for whatever reason the per-ring overhead in libSingular is
nuts. It might also be a problem in the libSingular interface, i.e.
some terrible, terrible memory leak. I ran the same job with a 64 bit
OSX build and

sage: v = prime_range(4974); len(v)
666
sage: w = [GF(p)['x,y'] for p in v]
sage: get_memory_usage()
186.0

186 MB is roughly 40 MB more than we started with. Next I will try if
Singular can create 666 rings in 32 bit mode without blowing up. If it
does libSingular's interface is likely to be the culprit here.

Cheers,

Michael