I can't quite figure out how to access optional programs
using Sage.app.  For example, if I start sage via the
command line './sage-3.3.rc2/sage' and then fire up the
notebook, I can access Octave and compute the eigenvalues
of a random 5x5 matrix using something like the following
  %octave
  A = rand(5)
  eig(A)

If I type the same thing into a notebook opened via
Sage.app, then sage claims it can't find octave.
Of course, when I run from the command line, Sage
inherits my PATH which includes /usr/local/bin, where
my copy of Octave is located.  This presumably does
not happen when I run Sage.app.

Is there an easy way for me to set my PATH or other
environment variables from within the sage notebook?
Is there a logical init file to edit in the Sage.app
package to make this happen automatically?

Thanks,
Mark McClure