On Feb 21, 3:45 pm, John Cremona <john.crem...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the diagnosis and suggestions.  Evidently I did the upgrade
> from a clone, one I made yesterday to review one of those patches....
>
> Suggestion:  since the upgrade already gives a prompt and will not
> continue unless you reply "yes",  why not add to that prompt a line
> saying don't go any further unless you are not in a clone.  Even
> better, detect whether or not you are in a clone and quite if you are
> (if that is possible).
>
> I'm now doing an upgrade from my rc0 build, not from any clone, and
> we'll see what happens!

The upgrade failed in exactly the same way as above.  To recap:  I had
a working successful build of sage-3.3.rc0 and was in the main branch
(so starting sage did not give me a message about bing in a different
mercurial branch).  I typed "sage -upgrade" followed by "y" at the
prpmpt, and went to work on something else.  When I came back it had
finished, so I typed "sage" and got the error already reported:  the
banner still says rc0 and there's an error on startup, saying

 ImportError: libpynac-0.1.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No
such file or directory
Error importing ipy_profile_sage - perhaps you should run %upgrade?
WARNING: Loading of ipy_profile_sage failed.

I particularly like the suggestion that my problem is to upgrade
(which does nothing, of course).

I am going to need a lot of persuading before trying an upgrade again,
which is a pity since I'll only have time to download and build sage
while at home for a while, and my internet connection is not so fast
in rural Warwickshire (especially when my daughter is watching TV on
her laptop!) so downloading the whole distribution takes a couple of
hours.

John