On Feb 23, 12:00 am, Jan Groenewald <j...@aims.ac.za> wrote:
> Hi

Hi Jan,

> On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 11:39:47PM -0800, mabshoff wrote:
> > > As I did make html for the docs in sage-devel/doc,
> > > I got this error:http://users.aims.ac.za/~jan/make_doc_error.log
>
> > My guess would be you need to install amsmath and potentially a couple
> > other TeX packages. Since the LaTeX based documentation goes away in
> > Sage 3.4 I don't think this is worth opening a ticket. A large part of
> > the reason to switch to ReST was that we will no longer require LaTeX
> > for the default documentation build since making it to work was always
> > a pain.
>
> OK, in that case I won't even bother. ams-math, texlive-recommended,
> texlive-all, and a host of other packages are installed though.

Strange. The documentation build did work for us on the official test
machine we used to build the documentation. But all I can say is good
riddance to the old documentation system :)

> > > As I did make test, there was one
> > > error:http://users.aims.ac.za/~jan/test.log
> > > ( sage -t
> > > "devel/sage/sage/schemes/elliptic_curves/ell_rational_field.py" )
>
> > Oh, the irony :). One of the installed optional database spkgs (not
> > sure which name it has, but it is the one providing data for elliptic
> > curves - it is by John Cremona IIRC) make a failure we check for in
> > the doctests in the default config into an operation that works. I
> > have made this #5346. Thanks for reporting the failure.
>
> database_cremona_ellcurve-20071019.spkg, I guess.

Yeah, that sounds about right. It might have been William who created
the spkg, but I believe those are John's data.

> PS. I will now be permanently patching user_conf.py to set autosave_interval
> higher
> from 3*60 to 120*60 and and max_history_length lower from 500 to 50. It would
> be
> great if the defaults here were reconsidered.

We fixed the bug in Sage 3.3 that caused the excessive number of
snapshots to be kept around and now a new snaphots will be kept only
in case that the content of the worksheet changed. It still does the
snapshotting every so often, it just deletes it when no changes are
detected. This is suboptimal since we still do IO and use CPU cycles
and should be improved via another ticket we already opened.
Unfortunately the current code does not clean out old excessive
snapshots, but I believe such a script could be easily written.

> regards,
> Jan

Cheers,

Michael