On Feb 23, 2009, at 12:46 AM, Burcin Erocal wrote:

> Hi Maurizio,
>
> On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 00:13:10 -0800 (PST)
> Maurizio <maurizio.gran...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> thank you all guys for these useful responses.
>> so, I see that sympy and sympycore and pynac are coming from
>> different
>> people.
>> But I assume that you have a very wide view of the actual situation,
>> and this is a real added value! I mean, getting to know pros and cons
>> of each technology is something that comes only from experience,
>> and I
>> would be really thankful (like many others, I am sure) if you could
>> share us this!
>> as I told, the symbench wiki page was really useful to me, because it
>> has shown the differences in terms of performances and stability and
>> confidence of the different symbolic packages.
>>
>> Trying to summarize, what I'd like to know (for example in the
>> case of
>> symbolic, but that's pretty general) like a normal user is:
>> - which is the package with the brightest future (in terms of chance
>> to be actively developed)
>
> It is not possible to give an objective answer to this question. Only
> time can tell.
>
>> - where is each package doing is best?
>> - where is each package failing in doing its job?
>
> These are also not easy to answer. Everyone has their likes and
> dislikes about different CASes. It is hard to go beyond speculation on
> most topics. There are some benchmarks, such as the integration suite
> compiled by Tim Daly, and scripted to run on different systems by Tim
> Lahey. However, much more work needs to be done in this area.
>
> You should also keep in mind that there are other options, such as
> maxima and fricas, and the landscape is not limited to sympy,
> sympycore, and Sage.

The Sage symbolics is in a transitional state right now, but ideally
a "normal user" shouldn't need to know about and invoke the
individual packages separately--the sage calculus interface would
either handle stuff natively or dispatch to one or more other systems
transparently. (Of course, for the even "slightly curious user" it
should be easy to see what is being called, and use the packages
directly if desired.)

- Robert