Hi,

I was trying to find if it was discussed before, but didn't find
anything -- what is your view on spkg dependencies?

It is not that bad so far, but still I need to remember in which order
to install all my aditional software, e.g. cmake first, then the
fortran package, then my wrappers, it'd be convenient if the user
could just do "sage -i qsnake" and it would do the right thing.

I also spent couple hours investigating some package managers that
handle dependencies and don't require root access. I quite liked:

http://0install.net/

There are packages in almost all distributions, but then I tried to
install it on our department cluster:

http://0install.net/install-source.html

and it utterly failed:

$ python setup.py install --home ~ --install-data ~/.local
running install
error: invalid Python installation: unable to open
/usr/lib/python2.3/config/Makefile (No such file or directory)

Yes, I know there is some old python. So that's a show stopper.

Ideally, I would like to bootstrap like Sage, from nothing. E.g. the
user would download a small tarball, that would contain basically just
a python based package manager + python itself (if it's not installed
on the system). And then he could install and remove any packages he
wants, they would download & install into ~/.cache or something. So it
would work like a source distribution, that runs everywhere. The
advantage is that libraries like numpy, lapack, blas, etc. would get
installed only once and all the upgrades would just download a small
thing. The Sage current approach is to download and compile everything all
over again.

But I don't want to start anything new, so I am just curious about
Sage plans in the future about this. Basically, what I need from Sage
is atlas, lapack, numpy, scipy, python and then the possibility to
install all my additional packages.

Another thing --- I'd like to create some repository with my packages,
so that people can just "sage -i" install them, without having to
first wget all the spkg and install them manually. So I thought I
would get my packages to sage experimental, but is there any procedure
for that?

I know that all of this is reinventing the wheel and basically doing
what linux distributions are doing, but Sage imho is a distribution --
a source distribution that runs everywhere and actually compiles ---
well, it's true that each time I tried to compile sage on some cluster
(2x so far), it failed :), but I think I am an exception, since I used
some older g++, or some other stuff was broken.

Ondrej